A Man of Culture ( ಸಂಸ್ಕಾರ)
It was a few years back when I was a
volunteer supervising work for a trust this happened. We were checking to see
if the patients (trust helped with) were getting the same treatment as other
patients in a hospital. It was for surgeries related to heart and the hospital
was Narayana Hrudayalaya. I met a few patients to find out their experience.
They were all praise for the Hospital and were very grateful to the trust. That
apart …
One of the patients (rather his father) I
talked to was a poor
labourer from Tamil Nadu and his son had undergone surgery. In my broken Tamil I
asked him, amongst other things, if the financial
assistance provided by the Trust was adequate and does he need anything else.
He said in Tamil and I translate ‘Sir, whatever I got was sufficient for the
surgery. I thank you and God for it. I do not want anything further. If I ask
for more it will not be proper ’. I was moved.
I was reminded of an incident in
Mahabharata. Draupadi gets three boons from King Dhrutarastra (partly out of
his fear and partly out of guilt) after Kauravas win the game of dice. She asks
as a first boon that her husbands Pandavas be released from slavery. For the
second boon she asks for the arms to be returned to them. Both are granted. Dhrutarastra
waits in anticipation. Draupadi does not
ask for the third one. When pressed to respond she says asking for the third
one (when it was not needed) is greed and hence she refuses to seek it.
No comments:
Post a Comment