Sheer Joy in Living
When I tell people that I learn a lot from
Gundu, my grandson, there is incredulity and a smile at an old man’s
preoccupation, passion or obsession. Sure, there could be elements of that but
Gundu and I are only representatives of what I am writing. It is about children
and adults (ok, ok, old adults or better mature adults). I read through what I
wrote. I wanted to be sure that there is no condescending tone anywhere. While
it has been fun and great joy the thoughts are serious and important to me. I
have seen the world through his eyes as it were and not looking down.
Let me enumerate a few lessons. First and
the foremost is the sheer joy at so many things we take for granted.
He laughs, without malice, at jokes that
are simple or at situations that are unusual; cap worn crookedly, a sheet
covering your body, a ball balanced on the head or for that matter ball unable
to stay there, a funny noise, imitation
of a tiger or mouse - anything
will do for laughter;
the cake is so enticing; so also beet root
and rice ! ; the colours, the texture, the temptation to touch the cream, to
lick your fingers, temperature - cold or otherwise – are all immensely tempting.
Joy in seeing a butterfly, cow, crow, sheep
or a lazy man following the cows at a distance (‘farmer ‘ );
We hear a cow moo. Gundu is wide awake and exclaims
in wonder ’ Did you hear that ? ’. He
wants to run outside.
We touch many leaves, plants and tree
trunks feeling the different tactile sensations. If we miss one we come back
and touch it; he cannot express the joy in words.
There is wonder in the eyes, keenness and anticipation
in the face.
Sights, sounds, odours, touch, movement all
come alive with a new hue, with urgency and in large measures flooding me.
Some were new; some I had experienced; some
I had forgotten; he awakens in me a fresh outlook and when he wonders at so
many things how can I not do so.
A day before leaving India Gundu is two
plus in age. We are on the terrace and he runs shouting ‘Charlie, Charlie ‘for
no reason and is intensely happy. Then we sit on the swing and as it gathers
speed we shout partly to overcome the fear and partly for the novelty of it. He
is uncontrollably happy and I have to stop the swing so that he can get back
his normal breadth.
It is an evening and we are again outside.
This time there is a flock of sheep with the shepherd behind. Gundu and I run (Gundu
runs after a sheep and I run after him). Gundu is excited and when he shouts
sheep runs away making funny noises.
We are near fish pond looking at fish
swimming. We count them and debate their colours. Also identify our favourites.
It happens that the orange one is Gundu’s favourite. It occurs to him that it
could be his (fish, I mean) birthday. So Gundu sings ‘Happy Birthday to you ‘and
I join him. Gundu is certain now fish are happy. We say good bye for the day.
After an eventful walk in the morning in
North Brunswick – after talking to geese and scaring a few - we are collecting
swords from the ground. After a careful selection from a variety of sticks we
choose two – one for Gundu and one for me to fight. Naturally Gundu’s sword is slightly
longer than mine. After an inconclusive fight we head home. A grocery van goes on
the road and the driver smiles and waves his hand as it is the third time he
has seen us. Gundu is thrilled.
A strange transformation happens to me. I
start enjoying many of these things as intensely as Gundu. There is always
immense pleasure when my smile is returned with a brilliant one. Nothing seems
more important than soaking up the experience with a sense of surrender and
feeling a wave of contentment. I recall the lines (Author: Cecil
F. Alexander, Hymns for Little Children, 1848):
All things bright and
beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
No comments:
Post a Comment