Coffee Day
Café Coffee Day
is a chain of coffee shops all over India, nearly 1500 of them, in more than
200 towns / cities. It charges Rs 90/ or more for a cup as against Rs 20 or
rather Rs 30 (if quantities are matched) in popular fast food restaurants like
Adigas or Maiyya. A Starbucks cup, at 2.25 USD and taking into account PPP ( Purchasing Power Parity ) which is
around 20, should cost Rs 45 or so but coffee at Café Coffee Day costs Rs. 90/.
Twice as much as in USA.
Starbucks is my
favourite in the USA. There are some similarities between the two. One, coffee
is priced high; two, the shops are clean and ambience is soothing; three, one
could sit there without any time limit; four, there is wi fi connectivity (only
in some places in Café Coffee Day). There are dissimilarities too. Coffee day
is more expensive in India than Starbucks on PPP terms; no aroma like in
Starbucks; Starbucks is utilitarian while Coffee day is aspirational. Coming
back to Indian conditions I should also add that toilets are clean and sitting
area is air conditioned and seats are comfortable ( all are taken for granted
in Starbucks ).However, coffee is not better than in Adigas or Maiyas although one pays three times. But still it
is popular with certain sections of population. I admit I am one of its fans.
It is because
Coffee Day is not about Coffee!
From a
report : ‘ The Café Coffee Day is a
regular meeting place for 15 to 30 years old, both male and female, who are
waited on by friendly and informed staff, and are offered the best made coffee,
hot or cold, beverages and food in an invigorating ambience. It is urban
youngsters’ favorite “hangout”. Its customers are mostly young college students
and young professionals. It is for those who are young or young at heart.
Nearly 40 % of people spend ½ hr. to 1 hr.; more than 1 hr. is common… ’ (this is as against: stand, drink and leave
in, say, Adigas)
It is
interesting to note that highly priced coffee dissuades certain section of people – middle class , middle aged and old
but retains young ( want to be different ) who are not bothered so much about
money ( especially as parents pay for it ). Further, they are attracted to it
because of the absence of older people (‘so boring’) and they can hang out with
their friends without sneering, disapproving, judgmental eyes. So, generally
the crowd is young and vibrant.
Waiters are
dressed in some uniform; they look different from the shabbily dressed ones in
regular restaurants. They are trained for some weeks and paid reasonably.
Waiters speak to clients in some form of English; they switch over to Kannada,
Tamil or Hindi amongst themselves; they are reasonably efficient, polite and
smart.
I walk in with
a bottle of water. My mind woke up and reminded me that they don’t serve water
free; a bottle costs more than in the market (what a saving! I mock myself). A
glass of water before coffee is so refreshing and prepares the taste buds for
coffee. I look around and settle down on a comfortable seat with my back to the
wall and entire shop is visible so also the outside road and traffic. I dislike
to sit facing a wall; so was it in my office; many, particularly in Infosys,
used to sit like that partly because the bosses sat that way.
Waiter comes
leisurely and before I say anything, says ‘Cappuccino without sugar? ’ and
smiles – I smile in return and am pleased that he remembers and tick off in my
mind to leave some extra tips. I use the fairly clean toilet and wait for my coffee.
I am in no hurry and neither is the waiter. Now I have time to watch people
inside and outside. Coffee arrives hot and nice with a foam pattern on the
surface; there is a faint aroma but I sigh thinking of Starbucks in USA where
aroma is so strong and captivating. There is no spilled coffee on the saucer. I
approve and sip contentedly and continue my watch.
The crowd is
assorted except that there are no old people other than me. English, Hindi (…
yaar ) Kannada ( … maga ) Tamil ( … da ) can be heard. I see two girls and imagine them gossiping
about office from snatches of what I hear. More intimate scene is around the
corner as some boy is trying to impress his girlfriend. Then there is a budding
or fading film director with a couple of cronies. He seems to be describing
some shots – long shot, close ups, crane shots and what not. He is animated but
frequently, perhaps recalling his intellectual bearings, slips into bored
looks.
There is a
young photographer showing a wedding album to his client. The photographer is
all smiles; payer is not; he cannot accept it so quickly; assumes a critical
role; spectacles definitely help; but we are under estimating the photographer.
He by his constant non fading smile (and also because of photographs I hope)
makes his client smile and has just won his business.
A small time interior designer ( like our Uday
who did it for our house ) showing her design
( auto cad sketches with clean and attractive images ) on a lap top
which adds to her personality and makes the client feel comfortable and a little intimidated.
A couple hoping
to become somehow healthy buy some expensive red liquid. They are relaxed and
feel confident that this will somehow make the bulging stomach and derrière
shrink.
A Sardar and a
local person occupy the next table. Sardar is well dressed with a light blue
turban; other one is poorly dressed client. But Sardar has to sell. After some
discussion on some product (industrial chemical in a bottle) Sardar goes to the
counter to get something; our local immediately and stealthily looks closely at
the red juice he has been drinking trying to find an answer to his curiosity.
There is a
small group of 4 / 5 persons with the leader easily recognized. Either he is
paying or else there is some favour others expect from him. So he talks, jokes
and makes wise cracks. Rest agree quickly with smiles (ದೇಶಾವರಿ ನಗೆ). The leader with traditional marks on his
forehead (ಕುಂಕುಮ ಚಂದನ ಲೇಪಿತ) orders happily and in my
mind I see someone in the group twitching uneasily.
It is an
interesting place – with bored intellectual looks, dreamy faces, juicy tit
bits, fake concentration, ‘arrived’ people, lonely souls and compulsive talkers
on mobiles, smiling small time sales people. While all these could be present
elsewhere Café gives me an opportunity and leisurely place to watch.
Why does it
attract? I suppose it gives respectability to people. It is considered ‘cool’
to hang out there. It also makes one feel exclusive. It is a spot of luxury, a
spot of privacy, a moment of pride (often hidden), a moment of peace. More than
anything it is class consciousness.
I sniggered at
it when I was introduced to it in Infosys. My initial reaction was that it has
snob value. I realized soon that it was more than that. I am now more sympathetic
and understanding. For instance ordering something unpronounceable adds to the charm; take frappe or cappuccino – not just plain coffee you see;
or macchiato , frappe – pronounced
muschito ( ಮಸ್ಚಿಟೊ ) and frap by most of us unless you are from Koramangla or
cantonment area or travelled abroad; if
so then it is Makkito ( ಮಕ್ಕಿಟೊ ) and ‘frappe’. I hear someone say ‘ bare coffee ge eneno
barithare aste ‘ (ಕಾಫ಼ೀನೇ - ಏನೇನೋ ಬರೀತಾರೆ ಅಷ್ಟೆ ; just coffee written differently in the menu card). I think
it was to cover up his embarrassment in not able to figure out the
pronunciation; but he orders one
anyway as someone else is paying.
The success of
the place is also due to the fact that for people particularly young not many
places are there to meet. They cannot invite people home; no convenience, no
comfort, not cool enough and to top it all disapprovals from all and sundry.
When I think of
class consciousness I recall an incident that happened when I was in TCS
several years back. I was staying with an old couple as a paying guest (their
home was called ‘Little Italy’). It was in the outskirts of London. The man was
unashamedly racist, somewhat senile, dreaming of ‘Raj’ days, was seeing or
talking to God on a regular basis and was kind and liked me. His wife once told
me that she had taken him to the beach the other day and he enjoyed it
thoroughly. I was nodding in appreciation thinking about the affection she had
for her husband when it became clear that she was referring to her dog. Coming
back to the present topic she told me that every year she goes to Harrods in
London when they have sales. I asked her what is it she buys. She said ‘I go to
Harrods and have Tea’.
Snobbish
behavior at times is touching and shows our frailties in an amusing way. Coffee
day has that too.
Sometimes I
wonder if a comparison with Coffee shops in Paris is really so outrageous.
For me Café Coffee Day is comfort, AC, clean toilets, good ambience, people watching- both inside and outside and some moments of peace and solitude.

1 comment:
Thanks for Sharing your valuable Information. I really like this post.
Post a Comment