Non – Existent Training
in ISRO
ISAC as well as ISRO was poor in training. Newcomers were
thrown in at the deep end . They had no idea of the role of immediate
group , no idea about organisation, no idea of ISRO. Not that people who were
in already knew any better.
For instance,
When did Indian Space program begin ? What were the goals ?
What is the broad structure of ISRO ? What is Space
commission ?
How many centres are there ? What do they do ?
What are the broad challenges we face ?
How do we get financial support ?
What are the current programmes ?
What has been the story so far ?
What is the organisation structure of ISAC ?
What does our group do ?
What are the interfaces with others ? ….
A simple booklet could have helped.
Even a 4 week orientation course for all new comers with
questions and answers would have made a great difference. One could add many
other things like processes, career growth , culture of organisation etc
For people already inside broad contours of what other
groups did would have been great.
Going further , people were pushed to take on responsibilities
with no training whatsoever . A technical head was ignorant of technology management,
handling people, finance, time management, schedules, coordination skills,
communication skills and so on.
So was a project Director or a program manager. For instance
a project , say IRS , was sanctioned. The program team including Project managers,
Coordinators etc had no clue about the scope, size or challenges. There was a
project report but no one to ask or clarify doubts .It would have made a world
of difference if all were trained for a week. I remember getting exposed to
Remote Sensing and its applications in a cursory way. I was greatly annoyed
when I did not understand well enough how the raw images are processed and then
used by other agencies. I started afresh reading primers on Remote sensing ,
sensors, data acquisition and image processing. I must have spent several days
reading and not understanding and after some trials reading and understanding.
It was such a pleasure that I would have given a series oftalks ( I did but to
a limited set of immediate colleagues forced to attend perhaps ) but there was
no opportunity to try it on a larger scale.
Later in TCS and Infosys I realised how far ahead they were
compared to ISRO. In TCS , I remember
attending a communication workshop of two days conducted by some private
agency. One of the participants was an young girl, twenty years my junior, from
a lens selling firm. We would make short speeches and a video of that would be
played back to analyse our strengths and weaknesses. Fortunately , I have a
thick skin and no ego in such matters
and I could laugh at myself and learn. ( A funny thing happened. We were
allowed to choose whatever topic that came to our mind. I had some difficulty in reaching that place and so I
chose how terrible Mumbai was. Some people objected to the content ! ) . The
workshop was truly humbling and a very enjoyable experience. What I feel sad is
that ISRO with so many distinguished technologists ( remember ISRO was a choice
destination when I joined in ‘72 ) did not address training all.
I was also exposed to the ignorance in ourselves when I
attended many mock viva voce for my colleagues. I was invited often as there
was a rumour that it would help the potential candidates to do well as if I had
a secret line to interviewers. I would
ask questions and I knew the answers but often the quality of those answers
dissatisfied me . This made me feel inadequate, slightly ashamed and I read a
lot about various things. As I loved reading it was not difficult and my hurt
ego egged me on.
I should have done a sort of Dipstick survey ( "dipstick" by
definition means "a measuring rod that is dipped into a container to
indicate the depth
of liquid in
it" and an exploratory research is also conducted to measure the scope or
depth of a problem.
‘ Depth of liquid ‘
should be changed to ‘ depth of
ignorance ‘ in our case ) . And I should
have added some spice like sample size and
probability etc and made a proposal to ISAC if not ISRO. Of course it
had to pass through Head Structures, Group Head and then Director. But it would
have been worth a try .
How I wish there was an opportunity to create a training
centre covering all aspects. I would have loved that job !
In Infosys a centre for learning was started in great
earnest and fanfare. An eminent person Dr Jayaram was inducted to head it. A
beautiful building in Mysore was earmarked . The participants were senior
executives of Infosys. It was based on GE model and speakers were founders and
others. Founders and a couple of others had a lot of ego ( they knew everything
) and their experience and background was valuable to start with but got
exhausted soon. Many times I suggested that we should get people with diverse
background particularly because we were teaching management. For example we
could invite an Army commander. He could be asked to talk on how army recruits
people with diverse background ( language, culture , values and background )
and then moulds them to its needs. After all we were recruiting Engineers (
freshers ) just like that. Someone said they ( Army ) would be rigid . I said
that he was not to run the institution but give a lecture. In fact we were
rigid in not opening ourselves to new ideas . But it did not find favour.
Anyway after a while the centre fell apart though it might still exist in some
form.
Do I share the blame ? Yes , Yes , a hundred times Yes.
No comments:
Post a Comment