Satyanarayana was
employed in ISRO clinic which was a
small one. Not many would even meet him normally as his job would largely involve arranging medicines, helping
doctor etc
He used to work with a popular doctor Rama Rao in Chamarajpet
and after doctor’s death joined ISRO as it was a government job. He used to
board the bus at the same stop as I did and we would chat for a while.
He was an orthodox Brahmin with his caste mark on his face
and generally dressed in white. A
pleasant man with little interest outside his immediate life. Over time he
became more and more orthodox, grew a beard – to start with jet black and over
time salt and pepper. It would be unwieldy and never trimmed. With his thick
glasses, fearsome beard and caste mark ( now more than one ; a large kumkum
circle on his forehead ) he looked formidable. With this transformation people
talking to him became scarce. He was a kind person and I chatted almost
everyday although it was more of a monologue from him.
One day he told me a recent happening. The bus that would
drop him to the clinic (some distance
away from our office ) would have to negotiate some turns and take somewhat
narrow road. Once a driver refused to drop him at the clinic inspite of many entreats and he had to walk
some distance with a bundle of medicines. It left him furious and helpless. A
couple of days later the driver, a well built person, came to the clinic in his
bus for some treatment. He had to be given an injection and as luck would have
it , Satyanarayana was asked to do the honours. He wanted to know , taking out
a large needle, how the driver was able
to drive down to the clinic now. ‘Just
wait’, he added. Driver was in tears and was frightened. He begged forgiveness
!
That was an exception. Generally he was polite, kind
and soft spoken. He was building a
temple in a far away place a few kms from Bangalore. He had a piece of land and
he donated it to the trust managing the temple. He was seeking donations for
the temple. I gave him a substantial amount in my mother’s name. Mother was
happy and Satyanarayana was overjoyed. From that day a new twist happened to
our chat. Everyday he would report to me
the progress of the temple, where he is getting the stone from, who is carving
the idol, when the roof (‘ gopuram’ ) would be ready, architecture of the roof
according to tradition ( eight sided ? ) , how divine the idol was, the financial
problems, who has promised and what amount, unexpected crisis , rituals to be
observed etc. He had the habit of covering his mouth by hand while speaking.
His head bent, mouth covered and in a bus rattling along and I listening to
episodes I could hardly hear – it was
really funny except that he was very serious about it and was happy that I was
listening. I had no heart to tell him that I do not share his beliefs or that I have no interest in it.
Some years later he had resigned ISRO job and I had moved on to TCS in Bombay. I
learnt later that he had settled in the land near the temple and had completed the
temple against all odds . He somehow
traced me and went on insisting that I visit his place. I gave in and on one
weekend we reached his place- so far away from Bangalore. He was very happy to
see us ( Usha and I ) . He made me go around the corridor surrounding the main
deity in the temple ( ‘ prakara ‘ ) three times with a ‘ chamara’
in my hand and waving and he chanting phrases like ‘ Datta Datta ; Sri Datta , Guru Datta ‘. Strangely I was
not put off ; basically because he was
so sincere and so ill suited to logic and most importantly he would have not taken No for an answer. I
liked him for living according to his beliefs and not harming any one.
I tried my level best to invite him for Lakshmi’s wedding
but could not trace him.
No comments:
Post a Comment